The snake plant or as scientifically named Dracaena Trifasciata belongs to the member of Lily’s family. It is also known by the name of Mother-in-Law’s tongue and Bowstring-hemp. Its durability and easy to maintain feature make it the first choice among indoor plants. It is most tolerant amongst all decorative plants because it can survive the inadequate growing conditions and neglect which a plant receives. In this article, we will talk about the advantages of a snake plant at home.
Before finding out the advantages of a snake plant, let’s know about the types of snake plants and how to take care of a snake plant.
Types of Snake Plant:
Although this plant has a wide variety. The common amongst those are mentioned below:
- Bird’s Nest Snake Plant – This plant is comparatively small, grows up to 6 inches only. The leaves form a group in the form of a cup.
- Cylinder Snake Plant – This plant grows up to several heights and takes the shape of a crown.
- Laurentii Sansevieria – This plant is known for its green-colored center and yellow margins.
How to take care of a Snake Plant?
As we all know snake plant is a popular choice because they’re low maintenance, require very little attention for growing. Here is a couple of things that should be kept in mind for a snake plant.
- No need to overwater. One should place the plant in a well-drained pot to avoid overwatering, as it can cause rotting. Only the soil should be watered when it’s completely dry.
- Indirect sunlight is sufficient. Partial sunlight works best for snake plants. Although it can grow in complete darkness, it can make the plant dull and leaves may become floppy.
ADVANTAGES OF SNAKE PLANT
The snake plant is classic yet versatile. In addition to providing ambiance, it also has several health benefits. Let’s find out some advantages of a snake plant.
1. Filters indoor air, produces nighttime oxygen
Similar to every household plant, snake plant clears and filters indoor air. What’s unique and is the biggest advantage of a snake plant is that it’s one of few plants which convert carbon dioxide into oxygen at night. This quality makes it ideal to plant it in the bedroom.
2. Remove toxic gases
The snake plant is also known for its ability to remove toxins from the air. Though in small quantities, snake plants absorb many gases like cancer-causing elements, carbon dioxide, benzene, xylene, etc.
3. Helps in fighting allergies
The snake plant absorbs toxins and releases oxygen. The plant releases oxygen which reduces airborne allergy-causing elements. This plant is well suited for people who are allergic as this is the natural and cheapest way to stay healthy.
4. Easiest to maintain and Hard to kill
The snake plant is very easy to maintain. You can neglect this plant for weeks and still find it fresh is also one of the advantages of a snake plant. This plant is tough indoor, can be placed anywhere, takes very little space, stays fresh for a long time without water, etc.
This is a good supplement for men who are being treated for erectile dysfunction, but it will not replace the main medication.
[Read List of 15 Best Indoor Plants for Home]
Snake plants are proven to be very useful and can be placed anywhere in the home as they are very visually appealing. They can grow both indoors as well as outdoors. The biggest advantage of a snake plant is you get fresh indoor air, an attribute that keeps you healthy in the cheapest way.
We hope you’ll consider adding a snake plant to your home.